Baccarat is an exciting game based more on luck and less on strategies. Unlike poker, it does not require a lot of thinking and planning and a game of Baccarat is usually over in less than a minute. The rules of the game help you understand how to play Baccarat and the possibilities of placing a bet.
Find In This Article:
- How To Play The Baccarat Game?
- Possible Outcomes
- Baccarat Variations
- Additional Bets in Baccarat
- Baccarat Tips
- Money Management in Baccarat
A lot is left on chance, so your focus is going to mainly remain on choosing the right table and picking the most suitable Baccarat variation of the game, which will provide you with the opportunity of earning high.
Part of this is due to the Baccarat speed – it unfolds much faster than most card games and the risks and rewards are both significant. It is thrilling to play such a game, especially when the Baccarat payouts can be really sweet!
How to Play the Baccarat Game?
All Baccarat bets are placed at the beginning of the game before any cards can be dealt.
The dealer will deal two cards to the player and two to the banker. Depending on the Baccarat variations, up to eight standard decks of cards can be used in the game. All the dealt cards are placed face up on the table. The dealer will place the first card for the player, next one for the banker, the third for the player again and the fourth for the banker. So the first round allows the banker and the player to have two cards each.
Winners are decided by counting the card points to identify who reaches closest to a nine. The value of the cards is as follows:
- Aces are counted as 1
- Tens and face cards are counted as 0
- Cards 2 through 9 are counted at their face value.
If the total value of the cards dealt to a player or banker reaches a double-digit then you only count the last unit. For example, if the sum of two cards is 12, then the hand value is 2. To win a game, you must bet on who would have the winning hand – player or banker or if there will be a tie.
Once the first two cards are dealt, the points will be calculated if either the banker or the winner has reached an 8 or 9, then the winner is announced. It is called a natural win. Payouts are made according to the Baccarat bets placed by the player and the game ends.
The player or the banker may be entitled to drawing a third card. If the player does not draw a third card, then the banker is entitled to draw a card only if the value of the cards dealt for the banker is between 0 and 5. The banker does not draw a third card if the hand total is between 6 and 7. The rules for getting this third card are as follows:
- If the player’s hand totals to anywhere between 0-5, and the banker’s hand is not a winning hand (an 8 or 9) then the player is entitled to draw a third card.
- Based on the player’s third card, the banker may or may not be entitled to draw his third card.
- If the player’s 3rd card is an 8 and the banker’s hand value is between 0-2 then the banker draws. If the banker’s hand value is 3-7, he stays.
- If the player’s 3rd card is a 6 or a 7 and the banker’s hand value is between 0-6, then the banker gets a 3rd card.
- If the player’s 3rd card is 4 or 5 and the banker’s hand value is between 0-5, then he draws or else he stays.
- If the 3rd card is 2 or 3 and the banker’s hand value is between 0-4, then he draws.
- If the 3rd card of the player is a 9 or 10 and the banker’s hand value is between 0 and 3, then the banker draws a third card.
Possible Outcomes of Baccarat Game:
- Player wins – If you bet on the player and the player wins, then the payout is 1:1 so if you get back your bet along with your winnings, which is the equal amount of your bet.
- Banker (dealer) wins – If you bet on the banker and the banker wins, then the payout is 0.95:1. The casino charges a 5% commission for all banker bets. Most Baccarat professional players believe that the chances of winning a bet on the banker are higher than the chances of winning a bet on the player.
- Tie – If you bet that the player and banker will identical values for the cards played to them, then your Baccarat payout is either 9:1 or 8:1. This means that you stand the chance of earning 8 or 9 times of the initial bet. The odds of a tie are so low that it is considered to be a statistically least favoured bet in the game.
In any casino game, the casino has an edge over the players. This is known as house edge. The reason why people find Baccarat to be a good place to try their luck with gambling is because the house edge in Baccarat is considered to be relatively low. The house edge for your bet is as follows:
- If you bet on the player, the house edge is 1.36%
- If you bet on the banker, the house edge is 1.06%
- If you bet on a tie, the house edge is 14.4%
This is also the reason why betting on a tie is considered to be one of the poorest decisions by Baccarat players since the chances of winning are very low.
The odds of having a winning hand are:
- Players – 44.61%
- Bankers – 45.83%
Whether you play Baccarat online or you visit a casino and play Baccarat live, you will notice that there are a number of variations offered by casinos to play the game. These Baccarat variations may either make the game more interesting or the bet more difficult. While the original game has already been changed in many ways, the popular variations which exist in most casinos for Baccarat players are as follows:
1. Punto Banco – Punto Banco, a very popular version of Baccarat, is a game of luck. It requires gamblers to bet on who would win the game – player or banker or if it would be a tie. One reason why it is preferred by many Baccarat players is that it does not require a lot of calculations or memorizing of rules. Punto Banco is also one of the most commonly played Baccarat online variations.
The game gets its name from the fact that Players are called Punto and the Banker is called Banco. This version seems to have been developed in Cuba and was later introduced to the USA. The number of decks used in the game is usually the highest. This version of the game also involves the highest number of players – 14.
The baccarat professional dealer is also known as the croupier. Shuffling and dealing out the cards is handled by the dealer only and the players don’t get to decide if the third card should be dealt or not. The dealer would automatically deal with the third card according to the circumstances.
Rules of Punto Banco are:
- The casino plays the role of a banker. A casino designated dealer will deal out the cards for the players.
- The dealer will deal the cards face down and will turn them face up after dealing two cards each for the player and the banker. If a natural win is achieved, then no more cards are dealt but if neither of the two hands has a total of 8 or 9, then the game continues and a third hand is dealt.
2. Baccarat Banque – Baccarat Banque is also known as Deux tableau and it is more popular in European casinos, especially in France. The words Deux tableau means two tables. This Baccarat game is played by joining two tables and 10 seats are placed for the players. 5 players can seat on each side of the table. It uses three decks of card. A dealer is determined at the beginning of every round. This is done by auctioning the role of the dealer.
A card is dealt on the left of the player, one on the right of the player and the third card is dealt for the banker. This means that the game will have three hands in total. At the time when Baccarat bets are placed, gamblers will place their bets on which player hand would win the game.
They can bet on one hand or on both hands but they cannot place their bets on the banker’s hand. A player gets to bet on the hand on their side of the table only. The banker can place bets on the banker’s hand only.
While the outcomes remain the same, this version of the game is different in the following ways:
- It allows one of the players to become the dealer for the entire game
- There will be three hands dealt for every round
- Players can place bets on the player hand
- It is played with fewer decks and allows higher bets
The rules of the game are:
- Player gets to bet on player hand on their side of the table and banker gets to bet on the banker’s hand only. If a player would like to bet on both hands, then they can place their chips on the centre of the table to signal their bet is for both hands.
- The total bet placed by the players must not exceed the total bet placed by the banker.
- All Baccarat players have the opportunity to challenge the banker in this game. It is known as ‘going bank’. The player’s bet should be equal to the banker’s bet if the player would like to ‘go bank’. If the player wins then the player gets to become the banker while the banker becomes the player. Any player who goes bank three consecutive times and fails to beat the banker will no longer have the opportunity to go bank.
- Players have the option to draw or not draw a third card if the hand total is five or less.
3. Mini Baccarat – The tables in this Baccarat game are smaller. It is preferred by many Baccarat players because it allows you to bet lower stakes. So players with smaller budgets will also be able to enjoy playing the game. The betting options remain the same as all other variations and rules for dealing out the third card are the same as well. All cards in a Mini Baccarat game are dealt by the dealer only.
The dealer takes the bets and announces “no more bets” before he begins to deal the cards. He deals two cards each for the player and banker and announces the point count for both. If required, he deals out one additional card for each hand. Players will not have the opportunity to decide if an additional card should be drawn or not. As a result, this game is totally based on luck and probability.
Placing the right Baccarat bets can help you rope in high returns or lose whatever you wagered. This makes it more of a gamble and less of a game that requires careful thought.
4. Baccarat Chemin de Fer – Originated in France, Chemin de Fer is a Baccarat variation that rarely makes it to American casinos and is not offered by Baccarat online casinos. The word Chermin de Fer means railway. Six decks are used in the game, which is overseen by a croupier or dealer who sits between the first and the last player. The casino only provides the equipment for the game and does not take part in financing the game. Players play against each other by taking turns to be the banker.
The initial hand is dealt with the cards facing downwards, but the additional hand is dealt with the card facing upwards. All players get the chance to shuffle the cards before the dealer deals out the hand. The banker places a bet and the rest of the players have the option of going all-in against the banker. This is called Banco. Players have the opportunity of choosing a bet according to their discretion if they do not want to bet against the banker.
When there are more than one people who call a Banco, then the person sitting closest to the banker from his right is given preference.
This is a method used by many Baccarat professional bankers as a way to add suspense and thrill to the game. A banker using the Baccarat squeeze method would first deal the cards face down and then tease the players with a partial view of the card that is revealed in the end. Baccarat squeeze builds tension among the players whose bets are at stake. By using baccarat squeeze, live casinos try to add excitement to the game.
Additional Bets that Can be Placed in Baccarat Games
Pair bets – You have the opportunity to bet that the player or the banker gets dealt out two cards which are identical. The player bet and banker bet are placed separately and payouts for both are 11:1. If a bet is placed on a pair and you win, then the banker will first pay the winning bet before continuing with the game.
Player and Banker bonus bets – You can also bet on a player or banker bonus where the player or the banker is dealt a hand, which naturally counts to eight or nine and beats the opposition’s hand by four points. It is considered to be difficult to achieve and so few gamblers take their chance with bonus bets.
- Avoid using a betting system to try and increase your winnings.
- Since the banker has the highest probability of winning the game, bet on the banker instead of betting on the player.
- Pick tables or online Baccarat playing options where you do not have to pay a commission as high as 5%.
- You can use probability to choose who you bet on. Most Baccarat live tables will supply you with the stationery to track the wins and losses.
Money Management in Baccarat
Baccarat speed is higher than most other casino games. A round of Baccarat online as well as in live casinos will end in under a minute. Decisions are made very quickly and with a maximum of three cards being dealt for each hand, it doesn’t take time for the game’s outcome to be announced.
This means that you can make several bets in an hour and if you are not careful with your money, then you may end up losing a considerable amount of money even if you were wagering low. In much the same way, Baccarat payouts could mount quickly if you’re lucky.
Many Baccarat professionals suggest that you set a limit for your wins and losses and stick to this limit during the course of the game. Decide a sum of money that you are prepared to lose and if you find yourself having lost that amount of money, then quit playing the game.